Over 85% of dry eye, tear and eyelid problems originate from meibomian gland dysfunction (MGD) within the eyelid.
The future in eyelid treatment.
Low Level Light Therapy (LLLT):
The benefits our patients receive from LLLT is simply, unmatched. They are complemented by LLLT exceptional efficacy in treating Meibomian Gland Dysfunction or MGD—although global thought leaders in the scientific community have leveraged it beyond MGD to treat the ocular surface (e.g., Dry Eyes, Chalazia, Styes, Blepharitis, Demodex, Sjögren’s Syndrome).
Low-level Light Therapy is a unique, light-based photobiomodulation technology. It's been developed and patented for medical use with the technology originally employed by NASA (i.e., Low-level Laser Therapy) to treat wounds of astronauts in space. LLLT has nothing to do with Red Light Therapy (RLT), which only acts on the surface of the dermis. Instead, Drs. Smarch & Schnurer utilize an LLLT that works at biological level, generating endogenous heat through powerful LEDs stimulating ATP production in cells.
This patented photobiomodulation technology isn’t just like any other red light therapy. It's patented and certified for medical use, designed to leverage near-infrared light beams that solicit cells’ mitochondria, triggering biochemical and biophysical reactions that stimulate them to provide better protein synthesis. Thanks to this process of endogenous heating, the tear lipid layer is increased and stabilized allowing you to feel and see the difference.
LLLT is used for Inflammation reduction and ATP Production Stimulus.
- Improves cells metabolism due to increased ATP production within the mitochondria.
- Reduces inflammation by regulating anti-oxidant defenses and reducing oxidative stress.
- Light-induced activation of transcription factors and signaling pathways.
- When a 15-minute treatment is applied, the total fluence in the treated area is 100 Joules/cm2.
Intense Pulse Light (IPL):
Intense Pulse Light is used at the most advanced dry eye clinics throughout the country. Drs. Smarch & Schnurer use a patented IPL that is designed as a polychromatic light whose thermal impulses are calibrated through software to always be emitted at just the right intensity, providing an extremely high degree of safety and effectiveness.
Also, the IPL used in our office is the only pulsed light in the world allowing for usage without any protective gel. This is made possible by its patented, software-enabled technology providing a light impulse that’s emitted at just the right frequency, every time, throughout every beam. This provides our patients with an invaluable asset: the convenience of an exceptional, frictionless experience.
IPL is used for increased inflammation reduction and moderate to severe MGD and skin rosacea.
- Modulates the meibomian gland, preventing the tear film from evaporating .
- Reduces inflammation by closing abnormal blood vessel growth that's choking the tear glands.
- Eliminates eyelash Demodex (skin mites) and bacteria that inflame or infect the tear glands.
- Promotes collagen synthesis at the skin level.
- Only IPL that allows for usage without protective/coupling gel.